Healthy Snacks for Diabetics
Diabetics can take snacks. Diabetics should take 2 to 3 snacks daily. These should be taken in between the meals, and they should combine fat, protein, and carbohydrates just like normal meals. Consider taking snacks the ones with 15 to 30 grams of carbohydrates and between 100 to 200 grams of calories. This should depend with the type of medication and meal plan.
Snacks with fiber are good for diabetics as they will prevent them from much hunger and also in keeping blood sugar at an even level throughout the day.
Here are some examples of snacks which are good for diabetics:
1. Dried Cranberries and Almonds – this is a mixture of nuts and some fruits which are dried. It is a very sweet and crunchy snack. Almonds are good in blood sugar regulation. However, this mixture contains much calories and hence don’t take much. Two tablespoons of each is recommended, which provides about 20 grams of carbohydrates.
2. Hummus – they are dense in calories, but they contain much nutrients and fiber. In case you don’t like them much, consider pairing them with veggies.
3. Black bean salad – they are good for curbing pangs of hunger, and also in stabilization of blood sugar, since they are rich in fiber and protein. The fiber in black beans salad helps in lowering cholesterol.
4. Raisins and Green Yoghurt – a snack made of a half-cup of green yoghurt and tablespoon of raisins is good for diabetics. Raisins reduce blood pressure, and do not raise blood sugar.
5. Chicken Noodle Soup - a cup of this is a good snack for diabetics.
6. Whole Apple – taken one apple, with the skin on. It provides carbohydrates of up to 20 grams. You can add peanut butter on it, as it is good in managing blood sugar, and curbing pangs of hunger.
7. Egg Salad- when hard-boiled, they provide protein. You can add an egg white to this, and eat it with whole-grain bread by spreading it on a slice.
8. Homemade popcorn- make them yourself without any additives. They contain much fiber.